Old Library/Worthington Board of Education Building


Full view (jpeg: 79.23 KB)

In Copyright

Old Library/Worthington Board of Education Building from the collections of the Worthington Historical Society (WHS) may be used for educational purposes as long as it is not altered in any way and proper credit is given: "Courtesy of the Worthington Historical Society, Worthington, OH." Prior written permission of the WHS is required for any other use of Old Library/Worthington Board of Education Building. Contact WHS at info@worthingtonhistory.org to request permission.

Learn more about copyright and access restrictions for use of materials from Worthington Memory.

Old Library/Worthington Board of Education Building is a picture, with genre photograph. Its dimensions are 4.44 in. x 6.5 in..

It was created in 1956.

Worthington Historical Society is the Contributor.

This photograph of the old Worthington Public Library building (752 High Street) was taken after the north wing was enlarged in 1956.

The Worthington Public Library actually began in 1803 in Granby, Connecticut. Prior to setting out for Ohio, Colonel James Kilbourne and 40 subscribers chipped in $2.00 each to finance a library for their new town, Worthington.

By 1870 the library collection consisted of some 200 books which were circulated exclusively to subscribing families by the postmaster. In 1901 the Worthington Women's Club opened a library in an upstairs room near the village green.

The Worthington Public Library got its first home of its own in 1927, when Elizabeth Jones Deshler donated money for a building on the northeast corner of the village green in memory of her grandfather, Colonel Kilbourne. Four years later, she donated money to build the library's north and south wings.

Since then, the Worthington Public Library, which serves all residents of the Worthington School District, has grown with the community. In April, 1996, the Northwest Library opened at 2280 Hard Road as a cooperative project of the Columbus Metropolitan Library and the Worthington Public Library, to be managed by the Worthington Public Library. In August, 1997, the Old Worthington Library moved into its beautifully remodeled and repaired building at 820 High Street.

It covers the topics libraries and buildings.

It features the organization Worthington Libraries.

It covers the city Worthington.

You can find the original at Worthington Historical Society.

This file was reformatted digital in the format video/jpeg.

The Worthington Historical Society identification code is 92-U-525.

The Worthington Memory identification code is whs0127.

This metadata record was human prepared by Worthington Libraries on January 23, 2002. It was last updated November 17, 2017.