Full view (jpeg: 72.75 KB)
Photograph of Frame C. Brown from the collections of the Worthington Historical Society (WHS) may be used for educational purposes as long as it is not altered in any way and proper credit is given: "Courtesy of the Worthington Historical Society, Worthington, OH." Prior written permission of the WHS is required for any other use of Photograph of Frame C. Brown. Contact WHS at firstname.lastname@example.org to request permission.
Learn more about copyright and access restrictions for use of materials from Worthington Memory.
It was created around 1900-1905.
Worthington Historical Society is the Contributor.
This photograph shows Frame C. Brown (second from the right) seated at a table with a group of unidentified men at Mory's Temple Bar near Yale University.
Frame Brown and his wife, Marie Gwynne Brown, were owners of the Brown Fruit Farm north of Worthington from 1912 to 1936. Frame’s father, William C. Brown, purchased the farm from its original owner, Frank Bower, in 1911, and then turned it over to Frame in 1912. Frame had just graduated from Yale and he and Marie, newly married, moved into a farmhouse on the farm. Their daughter Molly was born in 1913, and after Frame and Marie passed away in 1936, she carried on operations of the farm for another 20 years.
According to Frame's December 17, 1936 obituary in the "Columbus Dispatch":
"Mr. Brown attended the Columbus public schools and later Lawrenceville Preparatory school. In 1905 he was graduated from Yale university.
"He was a member of the state horticulture societies of New York, Indiana, Virginia and Michigan and was president of the Ohio Horticulture Services, Inc.
"While at Yale university, where he received a master farmer degree, he was a member of the following organizations: Delta Kappa Epsilon fraternity; Wolf’s Head society, Yale dramatic and glee clubs and the Phelps association. He was a charter member of the Rocky Fork Hunt and Country club, and a member of the Wyandotte Country club, Saturday Night club and the Players club."
The Brown Fruit Farm operated north of Worthington for nearly fifty years, from around 1912 to 1958. The farm grew and sold apples and apple products such as juice, candy and apple butter, as well as cherries, plums and honey. As of 1925, the farm encompassed 100 acres planted with 4000 fruit trees and was the largest fruit farm in central Ohio. It was renowned not only for the quality of its produce, but also for its innovative roadside marketing, including signs telling motorists how many miles they were from the farm.
It features the person Frame Clemens Brown, 1883-1936.
You can find the original at Worthington Historical Society.
This file was reformatted digital in the format video/jpeg.
The Worthington Historical Society identification code is 96-G-600.28. The Worthington Memory identification code is whs0977.
The Worthington Historical Society identification code is 96-G-600.28.
The Worthington Memory identification code is whs0977.
This metadata record was human prepared by Worthington Libraries on April 27, 2023.