Full view (jpeg: 93.72 KB)
Second Methodist Church from the collections of the Worthington Historical Society (WHS) may be used for educational purposes as long as it is not altered in any way and proper credit is given: "Courtesy of the Worthington Historical Society, Worthington, OH." Prior written permission of the WHS is required for any other use of Second Methodist Church. Contact WHS at email@example.com to request permission.
Learn more about copyright and access restrictions for use of materials from Worthington Memory.
It was created around 1900-1920.
Worthington Historical Society is the Contributor.
The second Methodist Church was built on Main Street (now High Street), with construction completed in 1864. It replaced the old brick church located on South Street. The new building was a brick structure, 40 by 65 feet, with double doors opening on the west front. The chancel was raised by two steps at the esast end, with the choir another two steps up. The church had a coal furnace and was lit by coal oil lamps. The church was renowned for its fine choir, and visitors came from surrounding towns to hear them sing.
The old Worthington Female Seminary is visible in the background. The Methodists first met in Worthington in 1808in groups known as "class meetings". The denomination was begun by John Wesley in Great Britain in the 1730's as an attempt to reform the Anglican Church. The movement was very popular on the American frontier.
It covers the topic church buildings.
It features the organization Worthington United Methodist Church.
It covers the city Worthington.
You can find the original at Worthington Historical Society.
This file was reformatted digital in the format video/jpeg.
The Worthington Historical Society identification code is 92-G-338c. The Worthington Memory identification code is whs0213.
The Worthington Historical Society identification code is 92-G-338c.
The Worthington Memory identification code is whs0213.
This metadata record was human prepared by Worthington Libraries on February 7, 2002. It was last updated November 17, 2017.