St. John's Episcopal Church Interior


Full view (jpeg: 73.22 KB)

In Copyright

Learn more about copyright and access restrictions for use of materials from Worthington Memory.

St. John's Episcopal Church Interior is a picture, with genre photograph. Its dimensions are 9.3 in x 7 in.

It was created in 1923.

Construction of St. John's probably began in 1827; the first service was held in the church in 1831. The gifted brickmason and church trustee Arora Buttles, who was responsible for Worthington's finest early brick buildings, almost certainly had a hand in the construction of St. John's. The raw materials of the building—the bricks, stone and native hardwoods—are all of local origin. In 1917 the chancel was extended to the east and the simple black walnut altar and stained glass window were replaced with the white marble altar and carved and painted reredos that dominate the east wall today. The original altar and stained glass window are still in use elsewhere in the church.

It covers the topics buildings and church buildings.

It features the organization St. John's Episcopal Church.

It covers the city Worthington.

You can find the original at St. John's Episcopal Church.

This file was reformatted digital in the format video/jpeg.

The Worthington Memory identification code is sje0017.

This metadata record was human prepared by Worthington Libraries on September 14, 2001. It was last updated November 17, 2017.