Full view (jpeg: 87.17 KB)
Worthington Female Seminary Lithograph from the collections of the Worthington Historical Society (WHS) may be used for educational purposes as long as it is not altered in any way and proper credit is given: "Courtesy of the Worthington Historical Society, Worthington, OH." Prior written permission of the WHS is required for any other use of Worthington Female Seminary Lithograph. Contact WHS at email@example.com to request permission.
Learn more about copyright and access restrictions for use of materials from Worthington Memory.
It was created in 1850.
This engraving depicts the Worthington Female Seminary. The seminary building was constructed in 1842, located on the west side of High Street between South and Evening Streets. The school's charter was granted on March 9, 1839, making it the first female seminary of the Methodist Church in what was then considered the "West". Following the establishment of the Ohio Wesleyan Female College in 1853, the Worthington Female Seminary lost support, which led to its closing in 1857. The cottage shown to the right of the seminary building was the residence for the principals of the Worthington Female Seminary. Portions of the house were built in the 1820's, and it was later remodeled in the 1870's in the popular Carpenter Gothic style. The seminary was demolished in the 1960's for the expansion of the Worthington United Methodist Church. The house was moved by private owners to its present location at 38 Short Street at that time and renamed "Bird Song".
It features the organization Worthington Female Seminary.
It covers the city Worthington.
You can find the original at Worthington Historical Society.
This file was reformatted digital in the format video/jpeg.
The Worthington Historical Society identification code is 55-G-175. The Worthington Memory identification code is whs0801.
The Worthington Historical Society identification code is 55-G-175.
The Worthington Memory identification code is whs0801.
This metadata record was human prepared by Worthington Libraries on December 14, 2005. It was last updated November 13, 2017.