Full view (jpeg: 75.61 KB)
It was created around 1929-1933.
This Playhouse sign once hung in a building on the Brown Fruit Farm that owners Frame and Marie Brown built for their daughter, Molly. The building was used to host parties and dances for Molly and her friends.
The Brown Fruit Farm operated north of Worthington for nearly fifty years, from around 1912 to 1958. The farm grew and sold apples and apple products such as juice, candy and apple butter, as well as cherries, plums and honey. As of 1925, the farm encompassed 100 acres planted with 4000 fruit trees and was the largest fruit farm in central Ohio. It was renowned not only for the quality of its produce, but also for its innovative roadside marketing, including signs telling motorists how many miles they were from the farm.
The farm’s original apple orchards were planted around 1901, by Frank Bower, on property once owned by the Pool family. Sally and Joseph Pool came to Sharon Township in 1812, and their family gravestones have been incorporated into a restored cemetery at Highbanks Metro Park. Bower sold the orchards to William C. Brown in 1909, who few years later turned the property over to his son, Frame. Over the next couple of decades, Frame grew the farm with cutting-edge farming and marketing techniques. The Brown family lived in the old farmhouse on the property that had been built by the Pool family. Frame and Marie Brown both passed away in 1936, when Molly Brown took over ownership of the farm, which operated until 1958.
It covers the topic agriculture.
It features the organization Brown Fruit Farm.
It covers the city Columbus.
The original is in a private collection.
This file was reformatted digital in the format video/jpeg.
This metadata record was human prepared by Worthington Libraries on February 8, 2018. It was last updated February 9, 2018.