Full view (jpeg: 79.77 KB)
North High Street at Glen Mary Amusement Park/Camp Mary Orton from the collections of the Worthington Historical Society (WHS) may be used for educational purposes as long as it is not altered in any way and proper credit is given: "Courtesy of the Worthington Historical Society, Worthington, OH." Prior written permission of the WHS is required for any other use of North High Street at Glen Mary Amusement Park/Camp Mary Orton. Contact WHS at email@example.com to request permission.
Learn more about copyright and access restrictions for use of materials from Worthington Memory.
It was created in 1930.
Worthington Historical Society is the Contributor.
This photograph depicts North High Street at Glen Mary Amusement Park, near the site that is now Camp Mary Orton. High Street followed the route of the turnpikes that linked Worthington and Columbus to the northern cities of Delaware, Bucyrus, and Sandusky. The early roads in Ohio were usually corduroy, made of logs laid in the mud. Travel by stagecoach or wagon was rough and uncomfortable.
In the view shown, the road originally went to the bottom level of the ravine. The jog in the road is clearly visible in early maps. The trestle tracks to the right belong to the Columbus, Delaware and Marion Interurban, an important transportation link for the early 20th century.
The automobile's increasing popularity brought many improvements to roads in Worthington's vicinity. Interstate 71 now carries the bulk of north-south traffic in Ohio, but burgeoning growth in Delaware County has led to increased traffic on High Street (State Route 23).
You can find the original at Worthington Historical Society.
This file was reformatted digital in the format video/jpeg.
The Worthington Historical Society identification code is 95-G-156. The Worthington Memory identification code is whs0067.
The Worthington Historical Society identification code is 95-G-156.
The Worthington Memory identification code is whs0067.
This metadata record was human prepared by Worthington Libraries on December 12, 2001. It was last updated November 17, 2017.