Full view (jpeg: 88.83 KB)
Painting by Frank Welling of House at High Street & New England Avenue from the collections of the Worthington Historical Society (WHS) may be used for educational purposes as long as it is not altered in any way and proper credit is given: "Courtesy of the Worthington Historical Society, Worthington, OH." Prior written permission of the WHS is required for any other use of Painting by Frank Welling of House at High Street & New England Avenue. Contact WHS at firstname.lastname@example.org to request permission.
Learn more about copyright and access restrictions for use of materials from Worthington Memory.
It was created around 1965-1973.
Worthington Historical Society is the Contributor.
This painting was created by local artist Frank Welling (b.1885, d. 1977). It depicts a home which stood on the northeast corner of New England Avenue and High Street. The elegant two story brick home was built by Arora Buttles. Buttles, who married James Kilbourn’s widowed daughter Harriet Kilbourn Case in 1821, built many brick structures in Worthington including this large brick home later known as the “Welling House”. The Buttles lived in the home until moving to Columbus in 1833.
Later the home was occupied by Dr. Arius Kilbourn, a nephew of James Kilbourn. Arius Kilbourn came from Vermont to Worthington in 1816 to act as Superintendent of the Worthington Manufacturing Company. Upon the failure of that company, he studied dentistry. After practicing as a dentist in the South for a time, Kilbourn returned to Worthington and married Phebe Chapman in 1844. The couple resided in the Buttles house in the mid 1800s.
By the late 1800s, after being occupied by Dr. Bickett for a number of years, the house was sold to Dr. Dickerson Welling and his family. Dr. Welling was a prominent physician who practiced medicine in Worthington for over 60 years. He was married to Mary Welling and father of sons David and Frank. He lived in the home from 1888 to 1927 when he moved to a home on West New England Avenue, according to the Worthington News.
In 1928 Robert Young purchased the property from Dr. Welling. The April 18, 1928 Worthington News wrote, “with the extensive remodeling and improvements to the Robert Young building…another historic old landmark of Worthington has given way to the demands of present day progress.” The article commends Mr. Young’s vision and describes the addition of three rooms and “a large and spacious colonial porch, with its fluted columns, and ornamental cornish”. The Ensors leased the site and both lived in the property and operated a restaurant on the first floor suited for both diners and to accomodate parties and groups.
According to the Worthington News, other occupants following the Ensors included "J.W. Heistand and the American Legion, the latter using it as their club rooms.” The American Legion was in the space in 1933. Worthington Barber Shop was also in a portion of the space in 1932.
In the Worthington News on August 23, 1934 the headline read, “Village Landmark Will Be Torn Down”. Frank Welling, who had reacquired the home, contracted to have his family home razed and replaced with a new structure which he then leased to the Sinclair Co. The Sinclair station later became the Gulf Service Station (Sheets Gulf).
It features the person Frank Postle Welling, 1885-1977.
You can find the original at Worthington Historical Society.
This file was reformatted digital in the format video/jpeg.
The Worthington Historical Society identification code is 73-G-18. The Worthington Memory identification code is whs1122.
The Worthington Historical Society identification code is 73-G-18.
The Worthington Memory identification code is whs1122.
This metadata record was human prepared by Worthington Libraries on September 14, 2020. It was last updated September 21, 2020.