Photograph of Billy Snouffer and Roger Cellar at the Brown Fruit Farm


Full view (jpeg: 54.44 KB)

In Copyright

Learn more about copyright and access restrictions for use of materials from Worthington Memory.

Photograph of Billy Snouffer and Roger Cellar at the Brown Fruit Farm is a picture, with genre photograph and group portraits. Its dimensions are 2.36 in. x 4.07 in..

It was created in 1928.

Pictured (left to right) are William J. (Billy) Snouffer and Roger Cellar on the grounds of the Brown Fruit Farm.

Billy was the son of William M. and Edith Snouffer. William M. Snouffer worked at the Brown Fruit Farm as well as for the Worthington School System. He was in charge of the Cider House, where fresh cider was pressed daily, October through December.

Roger was the son of Murrin Cellar, who was farm manager from 1936 through the farm’s closing in 1958. Murrin’s father came to work on the farm in 1913 when he was fourteen years old and attending Worthington High School, and he started working in 1915, becoming full time after his high school graduation. At age 19, he supervised the picking of apples and cherries by crews of transient labor. In 1936, after the deaths of Frame and Marie Brown, the farm’s owners, Murrin worked with their daughter Molly to keep the farm running until 1958.

The Brown Fruit Farm operated north of Worthington for nearly fifty years, from around 1912 to 1958. The farm grew and sold apples and apple products such as juice, candy and apple butter, as well as cherries, plums and honey. As of 1925, the farm encompassed 100 acres planted with 4000 fruit trees and was the largest fruit farm in central Ohio. It was renowned not only for the quality of its produce, but also for its innovative roadside marketing, including signs telling motorists how many miles they were from the farm.

The farm’s original apple orchards were planted around 1901, by Frank Bower, on property once owned by the Pool family. Sally and Joseph Pool came to Sharon Township in 1812, and their family gravestones have been incorporated into a restored cemetery at Highbanks Metro Park. Bower sold the orchards to William C. Brown in 1909, who few years later turned the property over to his son, Frame. Over the next couple of decades, Frame grew the farm with cutting-edge farming and marketing techniques. Frame and his wife, Marie, and daughter, Molly, lived in the old farmhouse on the property that had been built by the Pool family. Frame and Marie Brown both passed away in 1936, when Molly Brown took over ownership of the farm, which operated until 1958.

It covers the topics agriculture, children and dogs.

It features the people Murrin Roger Cellar, 1924-1964 and William J. Snouffer, 1923-2003.

It features the organization Brown Fruit Farm.

It covers the city Columbus.

The original is in a private collection.

This file was reformatted digital in the format video/jpeg.

The Worthington Memory identification code is wcd0242.

This metadata record was human prepared by Worthington Libraries on April 2, 2018. It was last updated September 5, 2018.