Photograph of the Worthington Inn Before 1901

Downloads

Full view (jpeg: 81.15 KB)

No Copyright – United States

Photograph of the Worthington Inn Before 1901 from the collections of the Worthington Historical Society (WHS) may be used for educational purposes as long as it is not altered in any way and proper credit is given: "Courtesy of the Worthington Historical Society, Worthington, OH." Prior written permission of the WHS is required for any other use of Photograph of the Worthington Inn Before 1901. Contact WHS at info@worthingtonhistory.org to request permission.

Learn more about copyright and access restrictions for use of materials from Worthington Memory.

Photograph of the Worthington Inn Before 1901 is a picture, with genre photograph and historic buildings. Its dimensions are 8 in. x 10 in..

It was created around 1862-1901.

Worthington Historical Society is the Contributor.

This photograph shows the building now known as the Worthington Inn during the second half of the 1800s. The original building was constructed in 1833 and consisted of the section from the center door to the right side of the building. It was built by Rensselaer Cowles, husband of Laura Kilbourne Cowles and son-in-law of James Kilbourne, for his family residence. In 1852, an addition by Theodore Fuller doubled the size of the building with the southern addition. This included the second door on the first floor to function as a reception area and three rooms upstairs to serve as hotel rooms, as seen in this image. William Bishop purchased the property in 1854 and was the first to operate the property as a hotel, probably with a livery stable in the rear. He advertised it as the "Bishop House." After a brief ownership by Nicholas Van Loon in 1864, the hotel was purchased by Robert Lewis and renamed the "Union Hotel." George Van Loon acquired the hotel in 1889, and again changed its name, this time to "Central House" and later "Hotel Central." A fire in 1901 led to the remodeling of the building including the addition of the Victorian styling, the third floor ballroom with mansard roof, and the large front porch.

It covers the topics homes, hotels, historic sites and buildings.

It features the organization Worthington Inn.

It covers the city Worthington. It covers the area Old Worthington.

You can find the original at Worthington Historical Society.

This file was reformatted digital in the format video/jpeg.

The Worthington Historical Society identification code is 93-G-257.

The Worthington Memory identification code is whs0188.

This metadata record was human prepared by Worthington Libraries on August 24, 2021.