Full view (jpeg: 99.52 KB)
Students and Faculty at Female Seminary Building from the collections of the Worthington Historical Society (WHS) may be used for educational purposes as long as it is not altered in any way and proper credit is given: "Courtesy of the Worthington Historical Society, Worthington, OH." Prior written permission of the WHS is required for any other use of Students and Faculty at Female Seminary Building. Contact WHS at firstname.lastname@example.org to request permission.
Learn more about copyright and access restrictions for use of materials from Worthington Memory.
It was created in the 1871s decade.
Worthington Historical Society is the Contributor.
The Ohio Central Normal School was housed in the old Worthington Female Seminary building. The seminary closed in 1857 as students chose to go to the new Ohio Wesleyan Female College in Delaware.
The Normal School opened in 1871, at a time when the need for trained teachers was arising. Ohio lagged far behind other states in recognizing the need for trained teachers. The Ohio Teachers Association, formed in 1847, opened some schools. City school districts began to demand educated and more highly trained teachers, and so a market grew. Private normal schools were started to help fill the demand. Large cities such as Columbus and Cincinnati also started their own district normal schools, and the competition brought about the demise of many private normal schools.
It covers the city Worthington.
You can find the original at Worthington Historical Society.
This file was reformatted digital in the format video/jpeg.
The Worthington Historical Society identification code is 78-G-118. The Worthington Memory identification code is whs0355.
The Worthington Historical Society identification code is 78-G-118.
The Worthington Memory identification code is whs0355.
This metadata record was human prepared by Worthington Libraries on March 12, 2002. It was last updated November 17, 2017.