Full view (pdf: 31.21 MB)
Gladiator Newspaper from April 19th, 1888 from the collections of the Worthington Historical Society (WHS) may be used for educational purposes as long as it is not altered in any way and proper credit is given: "Courtesy of the Worthington Historical Society, Worthington, OH." Prior written permission of the WHS is required for any other use of Gladiator Newspaper from April 19th, 1888. Contact WHS at email@example.com to request permission.
Learn more about copyright and access restrictions for use of materials from Worthington Memory.
It was created on Thursday, April 19, 1888.
"The Gladiator'' was a newspaper published in Worthington from 1887 to 1888 by Ezekiel Mettles. The office for the Gladiator was located in the Goodrich Block on the southwest corner of Main (High) Street and the Public Square.
This issue from April 19, 1888 includes a local news column and advertisements from local businesses. Articles pertaining to local news appear on pages two and three. "Take Notice" discusses the election for the Board of Education on April 24. "Shall Worthington Lose her Public Schools'' is an article about earlier educational institutions no longer located in Worthington including the Worthington Academy, the Worthington Medical College, the Worthington Female Seminary and the Normal School. "Truth vs. Falsehood. The cost of the repairs on the school building." justifies the costs of repairing and maintaining the school building with detailed accounts of expenditures. "That One Vote" details the Board of Education election recount after W.F. Griswold and W. R. Parson tied in the first vote. "In Memoriam: Another Pioneer Gone and at Rest" tells of the life of Henry A. Armstrong who came to Worthington in 1835 with brother Smith to stay with uncle Joseph Hyde. Armstrong married Sarah Tone in 1847, was a teacher in winter and farmer in summer, and lived in northern Perry Township. "To those Interested" offers a defense of the Worthington School purchase of Tuller property at the corner of State (Granville) and Hartford that extended the school lot from the Village Green to Hartford Street.
It covers the city Worthington.
You can find the original at Worthington Historical Society.
This file was reformatted digital in the format video/jpeg2000.
The Worthington Historical Society identification code is 2014.004.18.
The Worthington Memory identification code is whs1220.
This metadata record was human prepared by Worthington Libraries on March 5, 2021. It was last updated March 11, 2021.