Full view (pdf: 1.09 MB)
Program for the Sharon Township Schools 3rd Annual Commencement, 1896 from the collections of the Worthington Historical Society (WHS) may be used for educational purposes as long as it is not altered in any way and proper credit is given: "Courtesy of the Worthington Historical Society, Worthington, OH." Prior written permission of the WHS is required for any other use of Program for the Sharon Township Schools 3rd Annual Commencement, 1896. Contact WHS at email@example.com to request permission.
Learn more about copyright and access restrictions for use of materials from Worthington Memory.
It was created on Friday, May 29, 1896.
Worthington Historical Society is the Contributor.
This program from 1896 is from the third annual commencement for Sharon Township Schools "under the Boxwell Law." Students who graduated are listed as Ica Parker, Bertha Carrier, Herbert Watson, Harry Baker, Hal McRill, Minnie Roberts, Frank Barker, Daisy Snyder, Purley Guess, Frank Whip and Dema Asher. School Board officers include Delia Potter, President; W.F. Griswold, Treasurer; and S.R. Holt, Clerk along with seven additional members.
Sharon Township School District was established in 1825 when the Ohio General Assembly passed legislation establishing a property tax to support public schools. Sharon Township extended from the Delaware County line to present day Morse Road, and as far east as current Cleveland Ave and Minerva Park. In 1849, state legislation allowed any incorporated village or city to establish a graded school, and the Worthington School district separated from the Sharon Township School in 1854. In 1892, the state Department of Education standardized the qualifications for students to graduate from district grammar schools and enroll in nearby high schools, which in Worthington included all of Sharon Township and the northern part of Perry Township. Students who passed "Boxwell Examinations," Ohio's first proficiency exams, were guaranteed access to high school at no direct cost to the student. As Jennie McCormick states in "Two Centuries of Educational History," this "undoubtedly contributed to the need for more space." This led to the construction of a new high school in 1894, Worthington's first independent high school building, on East Granville Road, where Kilbourne Middle School now stands.
It features the people Frank Walcutt, 1864-1932, Ica Showalter (née Parker), 1881-1954, Bertha Carrier, Herbert S. Watson, 1881-1931, Harry Elwood Baker, 1879-1965, Hal McRill, 1878-1966, Minnie F. Mayer (née Roberts), 1881-1911, Frank E. Barker, 1881-1923, Daisy Roloson (née Snyder), 1883-1943, Purley Guess, 1876-, Frank Arnold Whip, 1880-1945, Lodema R. Morgan (née Asher), 1879-1950, Delia M. Potter (née Case), 1850-1922, Worthington Franklin Griswold, 1842-1912, Samuel R. Holt, 1820-1905, Brice Guess, 1844-1927 and Oscar Howard Ault, 1852-1935.
It covers the city Worthington.
You can find the original at Worthington Historical Society.
This file was reformatted digital in the format video/jpeg2000.
The Worthington Historical Society identification code is 02-G-287.
The Worthington Memory identification code is whs1148.
This metadata record was human prepared by Worthington Libraries on October 14, 2020.