Full view (jpeg: 92.09 KB)
Closing the Griswold Inn from the collections of the Worthington Historical Society (WHS) may be used for educational purposes as long as it is not altered in any way and proper credit is given: "Courtesy of the Worthington Historical Society, Worthington, OH." Prior written permission of the WHS is required for any other use of Closing the Griswold Inn. Contact WHS at email@example.com to request permission.
Learn more about copyright and access restrictions for use of materials from Worthington Memory.
It was created in 1964.
Worthington Historical Society is the Contributor.
Sisters Edith Ligda (b. 1883, d. 1974) and Ruth Griswold (b. 1876, d. 1965) are pictured here leaving the Griswold Inn for the last time in early 1964. The Griswold Inn was originally constructed in 1811 by their grandfather Ezra Griswold, who was one of the founders of the Village of Worthington. Its location near the center of the Village of Worthington, which is intersected by State Rt. 23 (High St.) and State Rt. 161 (Granville Rd.), contributed to the Inn becoming a popular stopping place for travelers. It was also frequently the site of community gatherings such as social dances, meetings, and town business. The Griswold Inn was eventually converted into a residence. The structure was demolished in 1964 despite efforts from members of the community to save the historic building. Ruth Griswold was the last occupant, leaving Worthington in January 1964 to live with her sister Edith in California before the building was razed.
You can find the original at Worthington Historical Society.
This file was reformatted digital in the format video/jpeg.
The Worthington Historical Society identification code is 74-L-32. The Worthington Memory identification code is whs0506.
The Worthington Historical Society identification code is 74-L-32.
The Worthington Memory identification code is whs0506.
This metadata record was human prepared by Worthington Libraries on April 9, 2002. It was last updated October 31, 2019.