Full view (jpeg: 55.68 KB)
Elias Lewis Sr. from the collections of the Worthington Historical Society (WHS) may be used for educational purposes as long as it is not altered in any way and proper credit is given: "Courtesy of the Worthington Historical Society, Worthington, OH." Prior written permission of the WHS is required for any other use of Elias Lewis Sr.. Contact WHS at email@example.com to request permission.
Learn more about copyright and access restrictions for use of materials from Worthington Memory.
It was created in 1860.
Elias Lewis Sr. (b.1786, d. 1884), originally from Connecticut, was a bricklayer by trade. His father, Jebadiah Lewis, also came to Ohio from Connecticut in 1806. He operated a sawmill on the Olentangy, but died in 1807. His land, located between Riverglen and South Street,from High Street to the river, was divided among his six children.
Elias Lewis was a stone mason. He built the houses at 36 West South Street and the Lewis-Noble House (a k a Bishop Noble House) located at 48 West South Street. He was most known for his evangelistic work with the Methodist Church in Worthington. He was a noted bone setter and splint manufacturer as well. He also operated a horse-drawn ominbus between Worthington and Columbus. His son, Worthington Columbus Lewis, operated a similar enterprise between Westerville, Worthington and Flint.
You can find the original at Worthington Historical Society.
This file was reformatted digital in the format video/jpeg.
The Worthington Historical Society identification code is 55-G-202. The Worthington Memory identification code is whs0575.
The Worthington Historical Society identification code is 55-G-202.
The Worthington Memory identification code is whs0575.
This metadata record was human prepared by Worthington Libraries on April 18, 2002. It was last updated November 17, 2017.