Full view (jpeg: 85.95 KB)
Photograph of the Harry Leasure Drug Store at the Corner of High St. and New England Ave. from the collections of the Worthington Historical Society (WHS) may be used for educational purposes as long as it is not altered in any way and proper credit is given: "Courtesy of the Worthington Historical Society, Worthington, OH." Prior written permission of the WHS is required for any other use of Photograph of the Harry Leasure Drug Store at the Corner of High St. and New England Ave.. Contact WHS at email@example.com to request permission.
Learn more about copyright and access restrictions for use of materials from Worthington Memory.
Photograph of the Harry Leasure Drug Store at the Corner of High St. and New England Ave. is a picture, with genre photograph, group portraits and historic buildings. Its dimensions are 5 in. x 3 in..
It was created around 1894-1908.
Worthington Historical Society is the Contributor.
This photographic postcard depicts the Harry Leasure Drugstore with three men, a child, and a bicycle. Although none of the individuals in the photograph are identified, in comparing to known photographs of Harry Leasure, it appears he is the gentleman on the right. This structure is located on the southwest corner of High Street and New England Avenue where Fritzy Jacobs is now located. Harry Leasure came to Worthington in 1894 and operated a drug store at this location until about 1908. The drugstore was downstairs and the Leasures lived upstairs, paying $10 a month in rent. It was noted that Leasure got rent for half price the month his son Lawrence was born in 1896. He eventually moved his drugstore to a number of other locations including on the east side of High Street near the Village Green, the Jones Building on the west side of High and last a storefront in the middle of the block on the west side of High. Note that in this image High Street is a dirt road still, and the right side of the image shows a buggy, barn, and lamp post.
The building was owned by the Snow family from the time it was built 1817 until 1916. George Snow was a physician who practiced in Worthington in the mid 1800s, and his son Thomas Snow, a druggist, occupied this site in the 1860s and 70s.
Dr. Longenecker, a dentist, bought the property in 1916 and immediately remodeled its current configuration.
It features the person Harry Leasure, 1869-1939.
You can find the original at Worthington Historical Society.
This file was reformatted digital in the format video/jpeg.
The Worthington Historical Society identification code is 2014.014.42. The Worthington Memory identification code is whs1244.
The Worthington Historical Society identification code is 2014.014.42.
The Worthington Memory identification code is whs1244.
This metadata record was human prepared by Worthington Libraries on August 24, 2021.