Full view (jpeg: 86.94 KB)
Rufus Weaver and Harry Leasure from the collections of the Worthington Historical Society (WHS) may be used for educational purposes as long as it is not altered in any way and proper credit is given: "Courtesy of the Worthington Historical Society, Worthington, OH." Prior written permission of the WHS is required for any other use of Rufus Weaver and Harry Leasure. Contact WHS at email@example.com to request permission.
Learn more about copyright and access restrictions for use of materials from Worthington Memory.
It was created on Sunday, May 22, 1898.
Worthington Historical Society is the Contributor.
This photograph depicts Rufus Weaver (left) and Harry Leasure (right) with bicycles. Rufus Weaver was an accountant and lived in the house in the background. The house is known as the Buttles-Pinney-Brown House (a k a Sidney Brown House) at 12 East Stafford Avenue. Harry Leasure was a druggist in Worthington whose shop was located at 693 High Street for many years.
Bicycling was an extremely popular recreation in the 1890's. The invention and mass production of the safety bicycle, with two wheels of equal size, made cheap and personal transportation available to rural and urban dwellers. Horses were expensive and difficult to maintain.
The brick house was built by Aurora Buttles in 1818. It is presently the home of the High Road Gallery, which exclusively exhibits the work of Central Ohio artists.
You can find the original at Worthington Historical Society.
This file was reformatted digital in the format video/jpeg.
The Worthington Historical Society identification code is 96-G-302. The Worthington Memory identification code is whs0253.
The Worthington Historical Society identification code is 96-G-302.
The Worthington Memory identification code is whs0253.
This metadata record was human prepared by Worthington Libraries on February 25, 2002. It was last updated November 17, 2017.