Full view (jpeg: 57.79 KB)
Photograph of Adams-Heath House from the collections of the Worthington Historical Society (WHS) may be used for educational purposes as long as it is not altered in any way and proper credit is given: "Courtesy of the Worthington Historical Society, Worthington, OH." Prior written permission of the WHS is required for any other use of Photograph of Adams-Heath House. Contact WHS at email@example.com to request permission.
Learn more about copyright and access restrictions for use of materials from Worthington Memory.
Photograph of Adams-Heath House is a picture, with genre photograph and historic buildings.
It was created in 1989.
Worthington Historical Society is the Contributor.
The Adams-Heath House (also known as the Adams House or Bishop-Adams-Heath House) located at 721 High Street in Worthington is depicted in this photograph taken sometime during Spring 1989. According to Frank Corbin’s A Walking Tour of Old Worthington (1969), this lot was among those originally designated in the Scioto Company’s settlement of Worthington in 1803, bordered by North, South, Morning, and Evening Streets. Although other, smaller log cabins were used on this lot before the existing structure was built ca. 1817-1818, the Adams-Heath House itself is the oldest remaining frame house in Worthington.
Colonel James Kilbourne purchased the property in 1818 and conveyed it to Demas Adams, newly married to Kilbourne’s stepdaughter, Susan Barnes, that same year. The couple used a portion of the home as a boarding house – possibly to supplement the services of the Worthington Inn, which James Kilbourne owned at that time – until they sold it to William and Charlotte Bishop in 1830 (Worthington Landmarks, Jennie and Robert McCormick, 1992). Charles Bishop would later operate the Worthington Inn (under the name “Bishop House”) and a boarding house with his second wife, Nancy; he also served alongside Rev. Uriah Heath on the board of the Worthington Female Seminary and attended the Methodist Church, where Heath was minister from 1838-1839. Heath purchased the 721 High Street property in 1855.
It covers the topics historic sites, taverns and inns and early settlers.
It features the people Rev. Uriah Heath, 1809-1862, Demas Adams and Col. James Kilbourne, 1770-1850.
It covers the city Worthington. It covers the area Old Worthington.
You can find the original at Worthington Historical Society.
This file was digitized other analog in the format video/jpeg.
The Worthington Historical Society identification code is 89-G-154n. The Worthington Memory identification code is whs0133.
The Worthington Historical Society identification code is 89-G-154n.
The Worthington Memory identification code is whs0133.
This metadata record was human prepared by Worthington Libraries on August 10, 2021.